Friday, July 9, 2010

June Week 3

This was a busy week, so get comfortable.

Since Evie and I were still not feeling well Sunday, we did not go to church. Instead, we stayed home and watched movies. Monday I was all better and made muffins and did laundry. Felicity went to the orthodontist and got 4 teeth pulled. They were baby teeth that were not coming out and the new teeth were already coming in in front of them. After dinner we planted our garden for Family Home Evening and went to get BOGO shakes at Sonic for treats.

Lydia helps daddy lay out the soaker hoses in our garden.
She was really a good helper and enjoyed preparing the garden this year!

Tuesday Shawn didn’t feel well, so he stayed home from work, but he didn’t end up getting as sick as Evie and I. The girls and I babysat Ben for awhile, had piano lessons, finished the laundry, and planted corn. After lunch, the girls studied books about Paris on a blanket in the backyard and Felicity made brownies. I love having a daughter who can bake! Evie ran with me to run some errands: to the library (I had books due), to the dance studio to pick up their pictures, and to Barnes and Noble so she could pick out her free book. In the afternoon Shawn and I watched “Little Shop of Horrors”, we all had a quick dinner, then we played a family game of Monopoly. We sweetened “going bankrupt” by letting the broke person go get a brownie.

Wednesday we went to the school library to take a couple of AR quizzes, check out some books and sign up for summer Accelerated Math. After lunch Lydia, Evelyn and I went to the public library to get our summer reading prizes, check out more books and watch the mini-play about Kronos and Zeus. The summer reading theme this year is based on the Greek myths. Then we went to pick up Felicity and her friend Ashlyn from the aquatic center. They had received passes from the D.A.R.E. program that let them go swimming for $1, so they got to go together and there were some other friends from school there. It was kind of weird for me since it was the first time Felicity has gone to do something where the parents just provided the rides and not constant supervision. I don’t know if I’m ready for her to grow up that much yet.

Thursday the girls had their seasonal “fashion show” to rotate all the summer clothes in and all the winter clothes out. We sure have plenty of pants for Evelyn… Then I made some strawberry-rhubarb jam with rhubarb from my neighbor and some strawberries I had in the freezer. I was afraid it was going to be too runny, but I think it finally set up. The girls made a blanket tent “town” downstairs and Felicity’s friend Torie came over and they made pudding pops again. This time they used vanilla pudding, separated it and mixed it with food coloring to make rainbow pudding pops. Our molds are fairly narrow, so filling them was kind of messy and they turned out more like tie-dye pudding pops. I think they used a lot of my food coloring (they wanted vibrant colors), but they had fun, so that’s what matters, right? While they did that I made our summer “bucket list,” a checklist of activities we would like to do as a family this summer.

The tent "town"

Evie fixing her tent "house"

Making pudding pops

Our summer "bucket list"

Friday we watered the lawn for the first time (it’s been rainy and cool so it hasn’t needed it) and played some croquet in the back yard before Shawn left for his IDAMFT retreat in Hailey. After Shawn left I broke out the sewing machine and was busy the rest of the night sewing fleece otter pop holders refashioning 2 pairs of pants into shorts and 16 shirts. I also got a few things ready for our neighborhood bake sale.

Two very similar long sleeved tees become to 3/4 sleeve tees with reverse applique hearts.

A long-sleeved tee becomes short-sleeved with tucked ruffles.

Two similar long-sleeved tees become to short-sleeved tees with mixed ruffle bottoms.

A sweater becomes a sweater vest.

The inset in this v-neck was too low, so I made a higher one out of the end of a discarded sleeve.

Saturday was our annual neighborhood garage and bake sale. I was in charge of setting up and running the bake sale which is a very tempting position to be in. There were so many yummy goodies! After the bake sale Felicity’s friend Cammie came over and they made some fudge for Shawn. Since we were going to be gone the next week, for Father’s Day he just wanted some goodies and snacks. I took the girls to McDonald’s for dinner and then I made him a batch of Chex mix later that night.

This week without Cedric was very quiet and hassle-free. The girls have still been sad on occasion (especially Lydia, who ironically did not want him here at first), but are getting over it. I enjoy being able to walk out my back door without dodging doo-doo. I enjoy having the extra shelf back in my pantry that no longer holds dog food and supplies. I enjoy pulling a blanket up to my nose and not have it smell like dog. I enjoy not having to interrupt a task to let him out. I will enjoy not having to take him to the groomer or vet. I do miss the clean-up job he would do on my kitchen and dining room floor.

1 comment:

Janene said...

Wow! You were busy. I love the summer bucket list Idea!