Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Festivities

Thursday was our second day of Halloween celebrations (the first was our ward party on Tuesday night). This is the only day I got pictures of the girls in their costumes this year. Thursday afternoon I went and helped with Lydia's class party. One mom was a fortune teller, one mom brought a "donut on a string" game and one dad ended up leaving town for a funeral, but sent cookies and decorating supplies. I brought a "Don't Eat Frank" game and a craft where they could make ghosts, jack-o-lanterns, and Frankensteins out of lollipops and tissue paper.Lydia plays "Don't Eat Frank" with some classmates.Lydia pretends to lick her Jack-o-Lollipop at school.

That night was the school Fall Carnival, where costumes were optional, so we wore ours. As soon as we got there I helped pass out the pre-ordered tickets, so I sent the girls off to eat on their own. When they were done, they came and got some game tickets. When Shawn got there, I went and ate with him and then we walked around to find the girls, check the silent auction items, and to see what all the games were. Have I mentioned how nice it is to have big kids that can go off and do things with each other and their friends? I really enjoy watching them be independent and sociable.
Here are the girls ready to go to the carnival.
Lydia - the Zombie Bride - rises from the dead. This costume won her an award (top three out of hundreds) at our neighborhood trunk-or-treat Saturday night. She was so thrilled!
Evelyn, our little "Spider Geisha" or Japanese girl, as we call it. (Authentic chopsticks from Taiwan in her bun - thanks Melissa!)
Lissy - the 50's girl. She came home and told me she wanted to be an "80's waitress." I was perplexed and didn't realize that an 80's waitress had a distinctive look. She said, "You know, with roller skates and a poodle skirt." (Edited: Lissy is apparently decade-challenged. She was clearly thinking of a 50's waitress.) Thanks Mom for the poodle skirt! Isn't she cute?
And here I am. As dressed up as I have been in years. My skeleton shirt and skeleton earrings are just the beginning. The hours I spent at the tattoo parlor
are really what make this costume shine.
That's right, I'm a crazy rocker. As crazy as I get, anyway.

2 comments:

Janene said...

I love it Lauri! It's so fun to see what people come up with. Are your tatoos on a shirt? if so, where in the world did you get one?

Your girls look cute too. I've always wanted a poodle skirt... :)

Lisel said...

I love all the costumes! I love your tattoo sleeves too - you are rockin the rocker look :)