Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 19-25

Sunday was my turn for sharing time and the weekly theme was about family home evening, so we had a family home evening lesson in primary about pioneers. Shawn came in and helped tell a pioneer "dramatic" story that all the kids got to participate in while they wore bonnets and kerchiefs. Shawn and I wore a simpler version of our pioneer outfits from Martin's Cove too. When Shawn came to the front wearing his hat and suspenders, he said the junior primary kids' jaws dropped and eyes went wide. So cute! While the story was going on we passed around a couple jars of cream to shake so we could make butter. I have always wanted to do that in primary and our primary is pretty small, so it was a lot of fun. We also sang pioneer songs and then had our homemade butter on biscuits. I sent home a copy of the lesson with each kid to have for family home evening with their families. I had a lot of fun, so I hope the kids did too and that some of them got to do it with their families. Shawn was awesome to come in and help and to help me work on getting it ready on our anniversary (romantic huh?). He is so supportive and understanding of the time I put into my calling, even when I leave things until the day before. Thanks Babe!
On Monday the girls started swim lessons and Felicity had a little sewing lesson. She was pretty excited and nervous about using the sewing machine, but did a great job! She made a little blanket and pillow for her doll. I don’t remember exactly how long it took us, but I think it was around 3 hours. She was ready to do another project, but I was done, so I told her it would have to wait for another day 
Wednesday night was busy. We had our annual chicken dinner with the ward where everyone brings their own chicken – fried, or whatever – and a potluck salad or dessert. The ward provided scones and drinks. Yummy! Shawn left straight from that for his softball game and I took my soaking wet girls home. They had asked to play in the sprinkler that was going and I said, “Sure, but don’t get soaked.” Silly mother. What was I thinking? Lydia was soaked through and through, Felicity was pretty wet too, and Evelyn was what I considered to be appropriately wet. Oh well, no big deal. It’s just water right? It was pretty hot, so who can blame them. After they changed into dry jammies I sent them to bed for some reading time and lights out so I could host our book group. We had a pretty good turnout and discussion of the book (The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield – a book lover’s gothic mystery) and yummy banana splits.
Thursday we left for Utah and the Pioneer Day celebration in Mayfield. I love Pioneer Day there! They have a great parade and all sorts of activities for the kids in the park, and auction, entertainment, and a great lunch. It’s a pretty big deal in a small town. We weren’t planning on going this year, but then I found out my grandma was going to be the Grand Marshall and my aunts were putting together a float for all the great-grandkids to ride on. How could we pass that up? I have a very happy memory of riding on a float in the parade one year with a Statue of Liberty theme. So the girls all got to ride on the float, get to know some second cousins a little better and play carnival games at the park all afternoon. What could be better than that? It was a ton of fun and I’m so glad we went. Thanks Karen and Elayne for organizing the float! When we got back to our hotel in Provo, the girls and Shawn enjoyed a nice cool swim in the pool to top off the day and then we went and got Krispy Kreme donuts. Oh how I miss the warm, melt in your mouth Krispy Kreme donut!
Friday we stopped at Ikea in Draper to look for a nightstand for Felicity and because we LOVE Ikea! Lydia and Evelyn both played in the playland while Shawn, Lissy and I shopped. Lissy was in heaven – so many bright colors (especially lime green) and modern designs – she wanted lots of things for her room! We did end up getting her the nightstand, a new lamp shade (hers was broken) and some little plastic boxes. And of course we had lunch there – gotta have my Swedish meatballs and Lingonberry juice. After that we stopped and visited with Grandma Sorenson for a little bit before heading home.
Another fun and busy week in our summer that is flying by. We get to be home for about 2 more weeks before it is off to another family reunion. I can’t believe school starts in only 4 weeks!

Pictures to come....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Your Grandma and my Grandma remind me of each other. Your sharing time sounds Awesome. I am very impressed that you put some much time and effort into it. I think maybe I will have my students make butter sometime. How long did it take? I am with you on the Krispy Kreme thing, they have Dunkin Doughnuts here and they are not even close to as good.