Sunday, April 18, 2010

More Girls in the Kitchen

On Sundays where Shawn is gone and I have meetings, I have just enough time to drop the girls off at home after church, leave them to their own devices for lunch, and then get back to the church. The last time this happened, they asked if they could make a cafeteria for lunch. I was hesitant - visions of arguments about who gets to do what or who gets to be what - dancing in my head. Against my instincts, I let them go ahead and do it and they had a blast - got along and everything! That is what they did again today - making a menu board on the white board, setting up a card table in the kitchen as the lunch counter, taking orders and serving each other peanut butter sandwiches, quesadillas with sour cream and clementines. Are they creative, or what? And it keeps them busy :)

Tonight the girls were all still in a cooking mood, so we just rolled with it. Felicity started out by browsing through a Rachel Ray kids cookbook we had and wanted to make a batch of her famous 5 minute fudge. Well, we didn't quite have the right ingredients, so we had to settle for the regular old-fashioned Fantasy Fudge from the marshmallow creme jar. Yummy!

Then it was time for Brinner - that's breakfast for dinner. We decided on waffles with eggs sunny side up (some like their eggs on the waffles, other prefer them on the side, I prefer them not to touch.) This is how Evie likes them.Felicity tried out one of those Rachel Ray recipes - a fruit and yogurt parfait made with layers of vanilla yogurt, clementine slices (substituted for mandarin oranges), rice crispy cereal, and crushed pineapple. I'll admit, I was skeptical about the rice crispies - hello, soggy! They did get soggy, but it wasn't too bad and was a yummy accompaniment to the rest of the meal.Lydia helped me mix up the waffles and poured them into the waffle iron. She thought it was pretty cool to beat the egg whites into stiff peaks.
Evelyn set a beautiful table with our white tablecloth and white dishes. She even put the napkins in the cups just like they do at fancy restaurants. Notice the little notebook she has out to take everyone's orders and she assigned herself the role of "bussing" the table also. I don't know if you can see them very well, but next to the milk and o.j. are 2 little pieces of paper - one is the menu and one is directions for passing the menu around the table. She also wore her apron and made herself a little name tag (hiding behind the cup she is holding). My girls are so cute! We all enjoyed the tasty meal and the time together, practicing our good manners (one of Lydia's Faith in God goals) and complimenting each other on the fine meal we had made together. I love my girls!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Its so nice that they are all old enough to help and actually want to.

Missy said...

I remember doing that with my sister when we were that age. How fun! They are so creative! Whether or not they know it, they are learning good skills for when they have a family of their own. In high school, my mom started asking my sister and I to trade of making Sunday dinner every other week. It was the best thing she could do to prepare us for living out on our own. :) Cute little chefs!

barbarawin said...

Glad you posted your blog address on MyFamily. Two of my seven have a blog: Sara and Nicki. Still haven't decided whether or not to keep the MyFamily site. Wish it got more use. Your blog is FUN - Cute, Very CUTE GIRLS.

bgsorenson said...

Wow!!! Your girls are so creative. What a fun thing to do together.