Monday, August 25, 2008

Back To School!



The girls went back to school last Thursday. They were all so excited to get their new backpacks and go. They each had a great first day and love their teachers. Lissy had some friends from the ward and neighborhood in her class, Jo had two good friends (one our next door neighbor) in her class, but I don’t think Evie knew anyone in her class. One of her little best friends is in the other morning class though, so they will ride the bus together and see each other at recess. Evie’s teacher is a young guy that just graduated and was hired a week or two before school started. So far she loves him. In fact, on Friday I picked her up and she sobbed all the way home saying, “I want to go to kindergarten every day! I want to see my teacher every morning!” The buses were not available for the kindergarteners the first 3 days of school, so we have been dropping the girls off in the morning and I pick Evie up after school.

With all of them in school, I find I can get a lot done in the morning. Thursday morning I think I just ran errands and Friday I was able to go do initiatories at the temple. I had to give a talk on temples yesterday in sacrament meeting, so I thought it would be a good idea to go spend some time there. I couldn’t sleep the night I was asked to give the talk (My nerves were kicking in already), and I think I was up until about 2:30 am cross referencing scriptures and making a web diagram for my talk. I spent quite a bit of the day Saturday finishing it, but it was done and ready to go by about 10 that night. Shawn said I kept the blubbering to a minimum when I gave it, so I guess it went all right. I love preparing talks, but just really dislike giving them. Lissy and I were able to go to the Twin Falls temple dedication since it was broadcast to our building. I haven’t been to one since the Nauvoo dedication when we were at BYU, so it was nice to go again. Lissy also went to the Rexburg Temple dedication with Shawn, so this was her second this year. I hope the other girls have opportunities to go when they are old enough.

I have also been spending time getting ready for Evie’s birthday party. We are having 5 of her little friends over after school tomorrow for lunch and games. I think this is actually her first birthday party with friends, so she is very excited. She wanted a Hannah Montana party, so that’s what we’re doing. Since back-to-school night is tomorrow night (her actual birthday) we are doing our family go-out-to-dinner and presents tonight for FHE. I spent some time this morning finishing the last couple pages in her second scrapbook (2004-2006) because she often asks me where her other scrapbooks are (like her sisters).

Shawn splurged a little and bought a beginner guitar this weekend. He has played it each day so far and we have all enjoyed singing along with him. He can play some of the songs form the Sorenson family reunion songbook and some of the primary songs. It’s pretty incredible to hear him play the guitar and sing “You are my Sunshine” while Lissy sings harmony. That’s right, my little girl can sing harmony – I’m so proud! That’s about it for us, I’ll post after the birthday events and let ya’ll know how that went.

3 comments:

NW Harbert's said...

I just found out that Oregon has the shortest school year in the Nation. We don't even start until the 2nd. We are doing all the preparing for school for FHE tonight and school clothes shopping on Sat. I wish we started earlier.
Oh Well!!! The girls look so happy and excited for school. I hope mine will be too.

Meichelle said...

That is so fun!! I think its awesome that she loves school so much! Oh, and on my other website, nowwhatdoyouthinkaboutthat.blogspot.com - I am hosting a bunch of giveaways. Check it out!!

Holly said...

How fun! Zach has been teaching himself guitar for a while now too. :) I bet it's nice to have the girls in school, and have a bit of quite time. :)