Monday, August 24, 2009

It's so quiet!

It's so nice and quiet around here right now - all the kids are back in school. I've already had breakfast, done the girls hair, taken the "first day of school pictures", gone back to bed to relax with Shawn for a bit, had my shower and read the ads for this week. Now I am starting on my list of things to do, which includes going to pinchingyourpennies.com to see if I can find some good deals at Albertsons this week. I also need to email a couple of the kids teachers already and get started on a card class I am going to teach at our Super-Saturday in October. I'm supposed to have examples and cost figured out by the middle of this week. Maybe they'll give me until the end of the week...
Friday Lydia and Evie both got to play with some friends. In the afternoon we did get our mani-pedis done for the girls and they got to put some cold eye patch things on their eyes while I did their toes, so that counted as their "spa" treatment too. After that we had one of Shawn's new therapists and her fiancée over for a cook-out at the fire pit. We roasted hotdogs, marshmallows (the toasted coconut ones were quite good!) and starbursts. Yep. Starbursts. You just stick 'em on your stick and put 'em over the coals till they get gooey inside and slightly crispy outside. Pretty tasty. Who knew? After that we sent the kids downstairs to watch a movie (Inkheart) while we played a couple rounds of Apples to Apples. After the kids were in bed and company left, we tried to watch Inkheart, but I couldn't stay awake, so that was the first things we did Saturday morning after breakfast. Lissy played with a friend until after lunch then Shawn and Lissy mowed the lawn while I worked on primary stuff. After dinner Shawn and I had our date-night - Transformers at the cheap theater and tres-leches cake from the Cafe Rio drive thru. Sunday was a busy day for all of us. Shawn had choir practice while I had meetings. Then the whole family went to Liberty Square since Shawn was doing the special musical number there and in sacrament meeting. I was conducting in primary which leads me to a funny story.
We didn't have a talk or scripture/prayer person lined up, so Lydia volunteered to read the scripture and give the opening prayer. Well, the scripture she "opened to" was 1 Timothy 2:12. Go ahead and look it up. I think there were a couple of snickers and I must have had quite a look on my face, because she looked at me and got so embarrassed and upset she wouldn't say the prayer. Evelyn said the prayer instead while I put my arm around Lydia. My awesome first counselor continued to comfort her while I continued conducting. Ah well, it's all over now and a funny story, right? And the moral of the story is.... help your child find a scripture to read in primary or at least check which one they've picked :)

5 comments:

Gibb Family said...

That's pretty funny. Enjoy the quiet.

Sorenson family trio said...

Poor kid. Funny story though. I sure am impressed with the fun things you have done with your girls to get them ready and prepared for school.

Kayla said...

How funny! You need to write this down for her to remember later. Thanks for the smile. :)

Karen said...

Sure do love my Lydia Jo!
What a message!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.