Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Birthday Present

She doesn't know it yet, but this is what my mom got me for my birthday. I've been drooling over these temple pictures for awhile now, but they were too expensive for me - a couple hundred dollars. Earlier this month, my friend's sister came down from Utah and taught a craft class where we made these for a fraction of the retail cost. She had all the temple prints and materials. Since the Boise temple wasn't available I chose the Idaho Falls temple. We had to paint the trim for the frame, glue the picture to a board, add texture to the picture, then use a staple gun and a lot of staples to assemble the frame and attach the picture. Sounds easy, but it took about 3 hours (mostly for all the drying time) and my legs were killing me the next day from spending so much time kneeling on the gym floor of the church.A couple of days later, my awesome crafty friends got together and distressed and stained the frames - I love it! I love looking at it when I walk by and I can even see it from my bed. Right now I just have it leaning on my piano and I think I kind of like it that way, I may not even hang it.Mom and Dad, thanks for the birthday money and my beautiful temple picture for my home!


2 comments:

Maren said...

That is gorgeous! I have always wanted one of those pictures too. I would love some more information on how to do that, if you have it.

Janene said...

I love those pictures too! Awesome. Thanks for sharing the info! Honestly, just earlier today I was thinking of taking my temple picture to get it re-matted and painting the frame to update it. I think this looks absolutely beautiful! I think I'll put my money to that. By the way, I have that same scentsy warmer. :)