Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shirt Redos part 2

The other day I busted out the sewing machine again to finish up Lydia's shirt makeover. My friend Becky used a reverse applique technique to add some dimension to the peace sign. She pinned some white knit on the inside of the t-shrit, behind the peace sign. Then she stitched around each of the inside sections of the peace sign. Then she cut out the front layer of the section to reveal the white knit behind it.Then I added a couple of buttons on each side between the phrases "peace please" for a little more dimension and color. I also cut off some of the bottom because it was really long and I thought I could use some of the extra knit for some embellishing.
I took a strip of the extra knit and sewed it around the neck line. I don't really like it and I should have done it like this shirt over at I Am Momma Hear Me Roar, but it will do. When Lydia tried it on, it was too short - I had cut too much off the bottom. So, I found an old white t-shrit, cut off the bottom, and sewed it on the bottom of the new shirt. Voila, instant layered look and since the white shirt is a little bit more snug than the pink shirt, it should keep certain "areas" covered in the back. I also took in the sleeves a little since they were pretty gape-y. While I was at it, I also used some of the fabric from Evie's new shirt, some pink tulle, some polka dot ribbon and a black button to make her a matching hair clip. It didn't turn out quite like I envisioned, but again, it will do and Evie seemed happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed!