Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Victuals

I hope you all had a "LOVE"ly Valentine's Day!
In honor of the very first Valentine's Day dinner I ever cooked my husband, I decided we would have Chicken Cordon Bleu for our Valentine's dinner. The original was accompanied by instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy and frozen corn. I'd like to think that over the past 12 years that I have become a better cook, so I upgraded the sides a little. This year we made penne with a pink cream sauce and steamed asparagus and served leftover sparkling cider (From New Year's) served in festive pink plastic cups
For dessert we made a black forest cake in the shape of a heart. I would recommend adding the whipped cream and cherries just before serving as we had cherry landslides while we waited to serve dessert. It was super simple - Devil's food cake mix, XL tub of chocolate frosting, can of whipped topping and can of cherry pie filling - and oh so tasty!