Thursday, February 4, 2010

"That **** Donna Reed"

For my fellow Gilmore Girl fans out there - you'll get the reference ;)

Yesterday was my Donna Reed day. After volunteering in Lydia's classroom I came home and got all domestic (okay after I watched my recorded "What Not to Wear" and a little Rachel Ray). First I got out my sewing machine and did some mending. I got everything in my pile done except for Lydia's dance costume pants - I need brown thread for that. That means I fixed 1 sheet, 2 pairs of girl's jeans, 1 pair of girl's slacks, 2 sweaters, 1 pair of suit pants, 1 men's shirt and 1 girl's shirt.

Then, since we were having soup-from-a-can for dinner, I decided to make some rolls. I used my mom's Madge Rich Rolls recipe - so really, I guess it's Madge Rich's recipe. I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my married life that I have ever made rolls from scratch. No Rhode's rolls for me this time. They turned out yummy and out of the 2 dozen I made - two survived the meal.

While the dough was rising I decided to make a butterfly costume that I have had for YEARS (so long I can't even remember when I bought it - maybe in Provo?). I have the sewing machine out, so why not? It is just a fleece panel, so was actually quite simple. I couln't find the little brochure I had with the directions, so I just made it up - which made it even simpler maybe since I didn't stress about all the embellishing. This is the first time I have ever appliqued anything and I'm excited to say it was pretty easy - of course, they were just circles - but I could maybe do that again. They girls were excited to try it on and are now debating on who gets to be a butterfly for Halloween.
Lydia the butterfly.Evelyn the butterfly.

1 comment:

Janene said...

Wow! I'm amazed at how much you accomplished in just one day! I can barely see my carpet, kitchen floor, or bathroom floor at various times throughout the day. And, I didn't know that people still mend things. I need to learn the skill. Did I ever tell you I once borrowed a pair of Grandma's nylons only to find half were control top, and the other was not? :)